Health Care Overhaul Information
Here are some Facts and Figures you may find helpful as you make your decisions about what you believe about the Health Care Debate.
NEA Position on Health Care Reform
Congress and the President have put comprehensive health care reform at the top of their agenda. The National Education Association believes this effort is vital to the nation's economic recovery and a crucial ingredient for great public schools for all students. Ensuring quality, affordable health care for everyone in America is fundamental not only to our economic future, but also critically important to our nation's children and their families. Students can't learn unless they come to school healthy.
The National Education Association's Principles for
Health Care Reform
•"PRESCRIPTIONS" THE NEW YORK TIMES HEALTH CARE REFORM BLOG
A series of videos of Administration officials explaining various aspects of the health care reform plan.
DOCUMENTS WHICH MAY HELP YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IS IN THE BILL
- New Report Shows Seniors to Benefit from Health Insurance Reform
A new report, "America's Seniors and Health Insurance Reform: Protecting Coverage and Strengthening Medicare," was issued Thursday by the Department of Health and Human Services. The report, available at http://healthreform.gov/reports/seniors/index.html, shines a light on what retirees have to gain from health reform, as well as the wholly unacceptable medical and financial consequences of inaction. According to the study, if no action is taken, Medicare premiums and out-of-pocket costs will soon eat up more than one-third of a retiree's Social Security benefits. A typical older couple would need to save $300,000 for medical bills not covered by Medicare. Said Mr. Coyle, "Health reform is an opportunity to close the Medicare Part D 'doughnut hole,' lower prescription drug costs, help early retirees afford health care coverage, and assist middle-class families with the costs of long-term care. A strong public plan option will hold insurance companies accountable and keep their premiums and business practices in check." The report also shows how health reform can both expand Medicare's benefits for seniors and strengthen Medicare's finances by eliminating wasteful taxpayer subsidies to big insurance companies.
- 2009 NEA Healthcare House Ed. & Labor: Correcting Reform Distortions
- 2009 NEA Healthcare PolitiFact: Correcting Reform Distortions
- FACT SHEET - HEALTH CARE REFORM MYTHS (Alliance of Retired Americans)
- Mandated End-of-Life Counseling? Read the article from AZ STAR
- Slash and Burn Smear Campaign - The Facts Won't Get In the Way of a Good
Scare. Memo from Staff of U S Reps George Miller (D-CA) and Chris Van Hollen (D-MD).pdf
- Ever wonder where to find the details about the American Health Systtem in a consolidated reference? The League of Women Voters of AZ has compiled a booklet that supplies many facts and figures you are looking for. They are not advocating for a certain plan or a particular reform. It is the health care issues BEHIND the Health Care Reform. Use this when considering your point of view or when talking to policy makers about it. League of Women Voters Health Care Reform Booklet